Any books or bibles for Fedora 25 ?
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any books or bibles for Fedora 25 ?

I am an Ubuntu Gnome 15.04 user and at a cross-roads to continue using it and update to 16.04 or go with Fedora 25. Reason I am considering this is I love Gnome 3.x and that is the standard desktop for Fedora 25 where with Ubuntu, it is Unity, and with Ubuntu Gnome, it is of course Gnome but for me, just seems more an afterthought.

I am not a linux guru but been using my Maingear Shift with Ubuntu Gnome since 13.x days and I like it. But, all the books you buy seem to cover Unity and not Gnome so much. I know the big books or bibles cover some Gnome but it always worries me if I do such and such per the book, will that also work for Gnome desktop or does it consider I am in Unity, etc... so worried it will screw up my system.

Would prefer an OS where the whole book is about the main desktop, and that is why I am considering Fedora, as it seems more Gnome centric, if that makes sense.

Problem though.... I don't see many books or bibles for Fedora, especially newest version 25. I have an old Beginning Fedora Desktop book from 2013 but that covers an very old Fedora 18.

Are there any books today or planned for the dummy like I for Fedora 25. I am not a dummy but prefer to have a book that I know covers the exact OS and desktop I am using so I don't have to question is this for Unity only or....

Otherwise I may just update to Ubuntu Gnome 16.04 and buy the newest Ubuntu book, big old bibles they sell, and deal with it.

Thanks

TJ

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Re: Any books or bibles for Fedora 25 ?

I doubt that you will find any useful books on Fedora or Gnome.
    They are both under active development with a fairly rapid release schedule. This would mean that any book would be quite out of date by the time it got published.
    Fedora has some quite good on-line documentation - see the links at the top right of this web page.

I have many ideas, even some I haven't thought of yet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK, that is what I figured. I just like good old books. I am on limited internet here (Satellite) and some things are just easier when a hardcopy book is at hand.

TJ

Quote Originally Posted by ocratato
    I doubt that you will find any useful books on Fedora or Gnome.
    They are both under active development with a fairly rapid release schedule. This would mean that any book would be quite out of date by the time it got published.
    Fedora has some quite good on-line documentation - see the links at the top right of this web page.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Depends on expectations. Browse your library and local book stores. I suspect you're digging for something like a linux bible which, as ocratato pointed out, mabe be... stale(?). Lots of books on Amazon and in Chapters. Personally, I have a 18yr old bible which I haven't looked at in 17 years. Sometimes it's hard to beet a printer, box of paper, and a D-ring binder.

Late Edit: dating myself. jhfc.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, install the src RPM packages and start reading. That will keep you out of trouble for a while...

I have a UNIX book from about 1985, but http://tldp.org is rather more useful now.
    --
    Have fun!
    http://www.aeronetworks.ca

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Much of tldp is also really out of date. However, some of the later Fedora bibles by Negus and someone else can often be found cheaply and are really good in explaining some applications.
    I see he does have a Linux Bible from 2015 which might be useful.

Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would +1 the Linux Bible recommendation.
    Laptop: Toshiba / Intel B960 2.20Ghz x2/ 4GB/ 320GB HD/ Intel HD 2000/ fc39.x86_64
    Tower:GigaByte x570 / Ryzen 5900x 3.7Ghz x12/ 64GB/ 17.5TB HD/ Radeon RX 580/ fc39.x86_64
    Server:GigaByte B450M / Ryzen 5600G 4.4Ghz x6/ 16GB/ 24.5TB HD/ Vega 7 / fc39.x86_64
    Embedded: ASUS Tinkerboard / ARM RK3288 1.8 GHz x4/ 2GB / 32GB SD/ Mali-T764/ deb12.armhf

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not so long ago I stumbled on some Fedora books (IIRC about Fedora 24) on Amazon that were simply automatic exports of the manpages (granted, this was more like an experiment of some developer). So yeah, there are pretty up to date books about Fedora but you probably better stay away from some of them.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have you tried your public library Most states have a "State" library with a multiple floors of books.. As an example, my local provincial library has about three hundred feet of ceiling to floor computer books, ranging from A to Z in topics.

Your state library can also do inter-library loands.

Second option. Many of the guides about LInux are in PDF format. These include topics such as BASH, or networking or other.

Search for your topic and download the pdf file for local reading.
    Last edited by lsatenstein; 2nd February 2017 at 01:09 AM. Reason: Y removed
    Leslie in Montreal

Interesting web sites list
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840
    We get too soon old, and too late smart!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just did a check with the Falmouth Public Library, Falmout, Cape Cod. Not that I live there but I know it from vacations. It is a rather small library, but it got some Fedora books, e.g.,

Linux bible / Christopher Negus, 2015
    http://library.clamsnet.org/search~S...T=D&12%2C12%2C

Well, this book covers Fedora 21 ony, but I guess, if you live near a bigger library, you could find more up-to-date editions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by macsociety
    ...and update to 16.04 or go with Fedora 25.,,,
    Also to consider: as I understand Fedora 25 is only supported for 13 months (am I correct?), and has be upgraded to the next version after that, and so on, while Ubuntu 16.04 is LTS and supported for 5 years.

This is from a Ubuntu 16.04 user, but also a happy Fedora 25 freshman!

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is a PDF file link above in the "Fedora Set-Up Guides" menu. It's in yellow up there at the top of the forums. Its the Fedora system administrators guide. There are links for F24 and F25.

But, a correction to your statement above. Ther is nothing "forcing" you to upgrade when a version gets to end of life. If you want to keep running an older version. you can.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with DB. Chapeau 24 is better than Chapeau25 (Fedora Remix). For that matter, replace Chapeau with Fedora 24. Wayland is beta in Fedora 25 and while it is pretty good, it is not yet ready to fully replace X11/xorg
    Leslie in Montreal

Interesting web sites list
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840
    We get too soon old, and too late smart!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DBelton
    ...Ther is nothing "forcing" you to upgrade when a version gets to end of life. If you want to keep running an older version. you can.
    Not convinced: in http://www.forums.fedoraforum.org/sh...34&postcount=4 I am told
    If you do not upgrade, you will have to deal with security updates (or backports, as the case may be) yourself ...
    And I poor newbie sure are not a deal-yourself-with-security-issues master! Or did I get you wrong?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well... Linux is notorious for non-existent docs. Consequently the best Linux documentation is on the FreeBSD and OpenBSD web sites!

This: https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/

or this: http://man.openbsd.org/

Now the only problem is that BSD is a little different and after a while you may be tempted to just install FreeBSD or OpenBSD and be done with it.
    --
    Have fun!
    http://www.aeronetworks.ca

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast