Old Rescue Grub Entry Remains after Upgrading
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Old Rescue Grub Entry Remains after Upgrading

Hi,

After upgrading to F24 from F22, I found the Rescue entry in GRUB menu still shows it based on F22, which means no upgrading along the system.
    Same problem link with more details:https://lists.fedoraproject.org/arch...K5OWEXWZIUKAI/

Anyone gives me some suggestion?

thx!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Old Rescue Grub Entry Remains after Upgrading

Why is it a problem, is it not working?

It should work regardless of that that is made for older Fedora release. But if you prefer to have it fresh, I believe you can use dracut command to regenerate it, in conjunction with grub2-mkconfig to regenerate new grub menu.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi, semiRocket. Thanks for your response!

I don't think it's a problem. I just wonder that why this entry does not update along wih upgrading.

Actually, this entry does not work correctly, but I think it's other reasons relating to Nvidia-driver.

I have refreshed the rescue entry following your suggestion. But I found that this entry is actually based on Fedora 21 which is the distribution I installed from scratch. So, the core of rescue entry should not update when upgrading the system, am I right?

Quote Originally Posted by semiRocket
    Why is it a problem, is it not working?

It should work regardless of that that is made for older Fedora release. But if you prefer to have it fresh, I believe you can use dracut command to regenerate it, in conjunction with grub2-mkconfig to regenerate new grub menu.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually, I have had issues with the "rescue" kernel entry for as long as they have been creating it. The only difference in it is that dracut builds a "full" initramfs instead of the stripped down one for the particular hardware you have installed.

It uses the same kernel files, and the issue I have had is when the kernel it uses is removed, the rescue entry no longer works. So, you install Fedora, it creates the rescue entry using the same kernel. You update the kernel a few times, after the third update, the kernel gets removed, then the rescue entry will no longer work. It can't find the kernel modules to load, they have been removed.

What you can do is to remove the /boot/vmlinuz-0-rescue* and /boot/initramfs-0-rescue files, then the next time you update your kernel, it will build a new rescue kernel.

There are ways to manually build the rescue kernel as well, but this is the method that works best for me. Every couple of kernel updates, I delete the rescue kernel files in /boot and have it build new ones.

Edit:
    Just rebuilding the rescue kernel, you should not have to rebuild the grub menu. All rescue kernels on the same machine are going to be named the same. So, you can rebuild it, and not have to regenerate the grub menu if the entry already exists in the grub menu.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DBelton, nice explanation!

I will remove the rescue vmlinuz and img in /boot, and wait next kernel update.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by DBelton
    Actually, I have had issues with the "rescue" kernel entry for as long as they have been creating it. The only difference in it is that dracut builds a "full" initramfs instead of the stripped down one for the particular hardware you have installed.

It uses the same kernel files, and the issue I have had is when the kernel it uses is removed, the rescue entry no longer works. So, you install Fedora, it creates the rescue entry using the same kernel. You update the kernel a few times, after the third update, the kernel gets removed, then the rescue entry will no longer work. It can't find the kernel modules to load, they have been removed.

What you can do is to remove the /boot/vmlinuz-0-rescue* and /boot/initramfs-0-rescue files, then the next time you update your kernel, it will build a new rescue kernel.

There are ways to manually build the rescue kernel as well, but this is the method that works best for me. Every couple of kernel updates, I delete the rescue kernel files in /boot and have it build new ones.

Edit:
    Just rebuilding the rescue kernel, you should not have to rebuild the grub menu. All rescue kernels on the same machine are going to be named the same. So, you can rebuild it, and not have to regenerate the grub menu if the entry already exists in the grub menu.