<---- template headericclude ----->
Issues with TombRaider and DoW2
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Issues with TombRaider and DoW2

I wonder - have any of you encountered issues with running TombRaider and Dawn of War 2 (both Feral ports)?
    I have problems with both. TombRaider launches ONCE , then it refuses to start - the screen blinks, goes black, then I'm back to the desktop.
    Dawn of War 2 gives me other problem - I get the main menu, I can see the intros etc. but when actual mission starts (or perf test starts) it gets stuck - I can hear some sound but the screen is stuck at loading page.

Tried a clean system install of F24 (it was a nice coincidence that I actually had a planned cleanup), but it does not help. Also I wonder whether language settings can affect such things (I'm using pl_PL).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Issues with TombRaider and DoW2

I don't know about DoW2, but I had Tomb Raider working fine in Fedora with GTX960 and Nvidia blob.
    But I've been beck to CentOS for a while and I don't like Steam much, so I don't have it installed.

But TR was working w/o any stability issues, it was just slow compared to Win version, especially in more complex scenes. Basically, GTX750Ti in Windows is considerably smoother with TR than it is with 960 in Linux. But that is the case with other Feral ports as well. GRID Autosport suffers from same symptoms. Fact, that the game itself is rather bad aside, some VP ports are faster. But still, Feral is a company that produces a lot of ports and so is definitely welcome.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, so that complicates things. If you had it running this rules "Fedora's fault" probably (unless one of the updated packages in Fedora messed things up for some of Feral's ports).
    So the other things that come to my mind are my language settings and ... well, my machine. Hope it is not the last one . From the spec point of perspective it should be all good , but as it is my work machine it has one thing that it is slightly less common - dual xeons (+980gtx).

Tomb Raider is the strangest of the problematic games - it launches once, runs very nicely , but I can't start it again. I even tried wiping out game data folder and reinstalling. Didn't help. Basically until I reinstall the system I am not able to start the game (and again it starts only once).

Any suggestions what could I try are very welcome. I'd love to get those running and support Feral in the future by getting their ports . At this point I'm getting a bit cautious about things they release - I haven't had issues with other titles so far, but problems with Feral's are slowly getting consistent :/ .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TR worked fine for me on a GTX650 with Nvidia blob.
    Just checked with nouveau and it repeatedly gets to the main menu with no crashes to desktop.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What GPU you are using? Copy of .local/share/xorg/Xorg.0.log would be nice. I tried running "Life is Strange" from Feral, it worked ok.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

.local/share/xorg/Xorg.0.log? don't have it - maybe this file is located somewhere else?
    Code:
    $ lspci | grep VGA
    82:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GM204 [GeForce GTX 980] (rev a1)

$ cat /proc/driver/nvidia/version
    NVRM version: NVIDIA UNIX x86_64 Kernel Module  367.57  Mon Oct  3 20:37:01 PDT 2016
    GCC version:  gcc version 6.2.1 20160916 (Red Hat 6.2.1-2) (GCC)
    - so running this game shouldn't be a problem.
    With DoW2 the issue is a bit strange - the game does not crash and thus I don't get any dumps in the game folder (as I get with TombRaider). I get the initial screen where you can choose campaign , settings etc. I also get the intro for the mission - but as soon as the load progress bar fills and I get "press any key to start" the game stops to respond.
    I can't even close it with alt+f4. But actually alt+f4 is the only thing it does something - it makes the mentioned load screen get replaced by other screen. BUt that's it.

TombRaider is a strange beast too - I have no idea why it launches once then on subsequent starts crashes imediately. What's even more puzzling reinstalling the game, even with removing game local files (at least those I could find) does not help. Only clean system makes this game launch - once... Crazy. ANd I have encountered those weird issues only with Feral ports.