<---- template headericclude ----->
Just a couple of things that irritate me every time I install Fedora
FedoraForum.org - Fedora Support Forums and Community
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just a couple of things that irritate me every time I install Fedora

#1 (the biggest ggrrr). I load Fedora in VMs (VirtualBox 5) now.... Have 23 installed. 24 installed, and now 25 installed. Installs all went easy. Great! But .... Every time 1024x768 screen resolution. A fight to get higher resolution every time (still haven't got 25 to work).... I have Ubuntu and a few others loaded, and they don't have a problem.... Just works. Think Fedora would have this figured out being a 'bleeding edge' distro in a world that is going VMs. ... I'll figure this out eventually again for 25 but ...

Then pull up a terminal, go to root, and update the system using dnf to latest and greatest. Works great. Since I don't like Gnome (how can someone like that desktop? Not intuitive at all) load LXDE next to get back a 'normal' feeling desktop before doing anything. I can live with this. All good here. Understand we all have different tastes.

#2, just getting all the 'normal' apps on board takes time. Doable but have to load extra repo. Then start bring them in... VLC, codecs, etc... to make the system useful.

Repeat every 6 months or so...

See, I try to like Fedora. Been a Redhat fan since the first RedHat stack of floppy distros. But it tries my patience as I get older!

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Re: Just a couple of things that irritate me every time I install Fedora

Why not install with the LXDE spin ISO? Also regarding resolution issues that is easily fixed by inserting the Virtualbox guest additions

https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch04.html#idm1948

It will enable rendering of the desktop at the host system's native resolution and easier switching between the two.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bout time VM's caught on and starting to become more popular.. After all, it's technology from the mid to late 60's

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe it is time to make your own mirror and use Kickstart?
    --
    Have fun!
    http://www.aeronetworks.ca

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DBelton
    Bout time VM's caught on and starting to become more popular.. After all, it's technology from the mid to late 60's
    yeah, it's got to be one of the slowest features to become more mainstream. it's only in the last decade or so that consumer systems have really been powerful enough and able to leverage hardware acceleration for VM to make them worth bothering with though.

since then they have just become another tool in the box and so convenient.

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rclark
    #1 (the biggest ggrrr). I load Fedora in VMs (VirtualBox 5) now.... Have 23 installed. 24 installed, and now 25 installed. Installs all went easy. Great! But .... Every time 1024x768 screen resolution. A fight to get higher resolution every time (still haven't got 25 to work).... I have Ubuntu and a few others loaded, and they don't have a problem.... Just works. Think Fedora would have this figured out being a 'bleeding edge' distro in a world that is going VMs. ... I'll figure this out eventually again for 25 but ...

Then pull up a terminal, go to root, and update the system using dnf to latest and greatest. Works great. Since I don't like Gnome (how can someone like that desktop? Not intuitive at all) load LXDE next to get back a 'normal' feeling desktop before doing anything. I can live with this. All good here. Understand we all have different tastes.

#2, just getting all the 'normal' apps on board takes time. Doable but have to load extra repo. Then start bring them in... VLC, codecs, etc... to make the system useful.

Repeat every 6 months or so...

See, I try to like Fedora. Been a Redhat fan since the first RedHat stack of floppy distros. But it tries my patience as I get older!
    Just use the dnf upgrade method, it will upgrade all the apps in place including rpmfusion
    https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/DNF_system_upgrade

See in that page the section "how do I use it"

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The DNF upgrade method works well, at least it did for me. I upgraded my desktop (4 hours of downloads, grunts and groans), and my laptop (I-3 system) took overnight. I suppose it took much longer because the internal hard disk is a 5400rpm laptop version and not an SSD. Oh well, my guess is that this laptop upgrade took around 6 hours.

My previous method to upgrade was to create a shell script with the stuff I wanted to keep from the previous system. I therefore did a clean (except for /home) installation, and than ran my shell script after I rebooted and while I browsed the web. My lost time was about 40 minutes. (my background shell script ran in about 3 hours in the background, doing what took the dnf system-upgrade hours to do the same thing.
    Last edited by lsatenstein; 30th November 2016 at 02:28 AM. Reason: Don't write postings at 2am in the morning
    Leslie in Montreal

Interesting web sites list
    http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showth...40#post1697840
    We get too soon old, and too late smart!

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do believe I am finally going to have to break down and do a clean install on my test box... I keep putting stuff on there to test things out, and have just been doing upgrades ever since F18. On the upgrade to F25, it wanted to download 60GB of packages for the upgrade.. Yikes!!

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it wanted to download 60GB of packages for the upgrade..
    Kind of a problem when you only set aside 32GB VM disks like I do for the Distros I want to try ! I've done the dnf upgrade route several times on bare metal installs with no problem. Usually just a few things to cleanup when done.... But works.

...easily fixed by inserting the Virtualbox guest additions
    Supposed to be easy.... I installed it, but still no go. At first it wouldn't install because it was missing a missing package (I can't remember what it was), after I installed that, the package seemed to install ok with no errors. Haven't got back to it again.

Why not install with the LXDE spin ISO?
    Well, because I downloaded the Fedora-Workstation-Live-x86_64-25-1.3.iso right from the DistroWatch.com website . Wasn't sure it that LXDE spin was available at the time I downloaded the iso. Not a biggie.

As for VMs since the 60s.... Speed is kind of a factor in all this. Finally have a machine with multiple cores that can handle VMs reasonably. Still noticeably slower than bare metal installs.
    Last edited by rclark; 28th November 2016 at 11:29 PM.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dunno.. One of the machines running VM's had 500KB of RAM, 233MB hard drives, and ran at a whopping 2.5Mhz, and I believe it was a 24 bit machine. I think it was prior to them kicking it up to 31 bit, but had more VM's running on it at one time than you would ever even think about running on your machine.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They must have been very 'specialized' small VMs then to fit in 500KB (which would have been a lot of ram in the 60s ) . My first PC a DEC Rainbow in the 80s was 'upgraded' from 64K to 256K with option of a 10MB HD (which I declined).